Summertime and the livin' is easy. One of the best things about this time of year is the opportunity for endless social gatherings, most of the time in the comfort of our own backyards. There's just something about firing up the grill and relaxing on the patio with great food, even better company, and, of course, an enticing libation or two. What better way to enjoy your home in the summer?
If you're hosting, this Southern BBQ Chicken recipe is a go-to for wowing friends and family. You start by letting it sit overnight in a spice rub of brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then, grilling and basting over indirect heat is the key to obtaining that tender, moist chicken we all covet.
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
10 chicken drumsticks
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mash brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a mortar and pestle to form a paste. Spoon paste into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken, coat with the paste, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours to overnight.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir ketchup, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce into onions; bring to a simmer and cook until flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
- Cook chicken on the preheated grill until lightly browned on all sides, about 1 minute per side.
- Turn off one of the grill burners or move the coals and move chicken so there is no heat source directly below it.
- Baste drumsticks with the sauce and cook another 10 minutes; turn again and baste chicken with sauce. Continue to grill drumsticks until juices run clear, 10 to 15 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F.
If you are currently looking for the perfect home to host some summer time BBQ's at, please feel free to contact us to discuss any of your home lending needs.