It’s National Safe Toys and Gifts Month
Each year, thousands of children are treated for toy-related injuries, especially around the holiday season. During Safe Toys and Gifts Month, be sure you are taking the necessary steps to keep children safe.
When purchasing or receiving gifts this holiday season, keep in mind the following tips:
- Look for a label on the box to ensure the toy meets the safety standards of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
- Read all warning labels and instructions before allowing your child to play with the toy or gift.
- Inspect all toys your child receives to ensure that there are no broken pieces, sharp edges or points, and are in sturdy condition.
- Examine toy labels to ensure the age and skill levels are appropriate for your child.
- For children under the age of three, stay away from gifts with small parts as they can cause serious damage if swallowed.
- Ensure crayons and markers are labeled as "nontoxic" prior to purchasing or opening.
- Avoid toys with strings or straps longer than 7 inches as they may pose a risk of strangulation.
- Monitor children using electrical toys with heating elements to avoid serious burns.
- Remain informed about toys that have been recalled by checking the Consumer Product Safety Commission's (CPSC) recall listings.
Look for more monthly awareness news from us each month.
Enjoy a fun and safe holiday season!
This letter is for information purposes only and is not an advertisement to extend customer credit as defined by Section 12 CFR 1026.2 Regulation Z. Program rates, terms and conditions are subject to change at any time. Licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act, 4131316 NMLS #237653